The term “king-sized” is believed to have been coined in the late 1940s by an American mattress manufacturer. It was used to describe the extra-large size of a futon or double bed, which measured 76 inches wide and 80 inches long—nowadays referred to as a California King-size bed.
Other interesting fun facts about mattresses include:
- The oldest known mattress dates back to 77,000 B.C., and was found in South Africa.
- The average American sleeps for 8 hours a day on their mattress.
- Waterbeds were first invented in 1871 by an Englishman named William Hanningfield.
- Memory foam was first invented by NASA in the 1970s, and then adapted for consumer use.
- The world’s most expensive mattress is made with alpaca wool and mink oil, and costs a whopping $150,000 USD!
- There are different types of mattresses that suit different body types, such as hybrid mattresses for people who prefer a more traditional feel, or foam mattresses for those who need extra support.
- Mattress toppers are popular additions to mattresses, as they can provide additional comfort and cushioning. They also help prolong the lifespan of a mattress by protecting it from wear and tear.
- Regularly rotating and flipping your mattress is an important part of keeping it in good condition, as this helps to even out the wear and tear on the mattress over time.
- Pillows are great for providing extra comfort and support when sleeping, but it’s important to make sure your pillow is the right size and shape for your body type. The wrong kind of pillow can cause neck and shoulder pain.
- Sleep hygiene should always be a priority, as it can affect the quality of your sleep. Developing good habits such as turning off electronics an hour before bed, avoiding caffeine late in the day, and making sure you get enough natural light during the day can make all the difference when it comes to getting quality rest.
These are just some of the interesting facts about mattresses that many people don’t know about. Whether you’re shopping for a new mattress or just want to brush up on your knowledge, these fun facts can help you make sure you get the best sleep possible.