As with many aspects of pool maintenance, determining the amount of shock to add is both a science and an art. Generally speaking, you should shock your pool water once weekly or after heavy usage such as parties or special events. The right amount of shock depends on several factors including the size of your pool, pH levels, available chlorine levels and other contaminants.
When adding shock to your pool, it’s also important to monitor the chlorine levels after adding the shock. Chlorine should not exceed 5 parts per million (ppm) for most pools and 8 ppm for chlorinated spas. If excessive levels of chlorine are present in your water, contact a professional for help with balancing your pool chemistry.
Here are some tips for using shock to keep your pool water safe and clean:
- Make sure the pH level of your pool is between 7.2 and 7.8 before adding shock. Too low or too high a pH can reduce the effectiveness of chlorine in killing bacteria and algae.
- When shocking with liquid chlorinating compounds, add 1 quart of product per 10,000 gallons of pool water.
- Follow the instructions on your shock package to determine the correct amount for your pool size and type.
- Shock at night when it is cooler outside. This will keep you from over-shocking and damaging your liner or other components in the process.
- Pre-dissolve the shock in a bucket of water before adding it to your pool. This helps to prevent staining and burning, especially with granular shock products.
- Test your water regularly for chlorine levels after shocking to ensure you are maintaining the perfect balance for swimming safety.
- Contact a professional if you have any questions about how to properly shock your pool or if you’re having difficulty maintaining the proper chlorine levels.
Shocking your pool regularly and in the correct amounts helps keep it clean, safe and swimmable. Follow these tips to ensure that you don’t use too little or too much shock when caring for your swimming pool.