Boston businesses are known for their innovative and cutting-edge technologies, but when it comes to cybersecurity, Boston businesses need to do more to protect themselves. Here are six things Boston businesses can do today to improve their cybersecurity:
- Keep software up to date. One of the most important things you can do to improve your cybersecurity is to keep your software up to date. This includes both your operating system and any applications you use. Outdated software is one of the most common ways for cybercriminals to gain access to systems, so it’s important to make sure everything is up-to-date and patched regularly.
- Use strong passwords and two-factor authentication. Another way to help improve your Boston business’s cybersecurity is to use strong passwords and enable two-factor authentication (2FA) wherever possible. Strong passwords are long, complex, and unique, making them much more difficult for cybercriminals to guess or crack. 2FA adds an extra layer of security by requiring a second factor (usually a code sent to your phone) in addition to your password in order to log in.
- Encrypt sensitive data. Boston businesses handle a lot of sensitive data, from customer information to financial records. It’s important to encrypt this data both at rest (when it’s stored) and in transit (when it’s being transmitted), using strong encryption methods. This makes it much more difficult for cybercriminals to access and misuse this data if they do gain access to your systems.
- Implement security controls. There are a variety of security controls you can implement to help improve your cybersecurity, from firewalls and intrusion detection/prevention systems to access control lists and activity monitoring. Which controls you implement will depend on your specific needs, but they can all help reduce the risk of a successful cyberattack.
- Train employees in cybersecurity. One of the most important things you can do to improve your Boston business’s cybersecurity is to train your employees in cybersecurity best practices. They should know how to spot phishing emails, for example, and understand the importance of strong passwords and encrypting sensitive data. Regular training can help ensure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to cybersecurity and helps reduce the risk of human error.
- Work with an Managed IT Services Provider. Managed IT services providers have the experience and expertise to help businesses implement strong cybersecurity measures and keep their systems up-to-date. They can also provide around-the-clock monitoring and support to help mitigate the risk of a successful cyberattack.
By taking these steps, Boston businesses can significantly improve their cybersecurity and reduce the risk of a successful cyberattack. Cybersecurity is an important issue for all businesses, but it’s especially critical for Boston businesses given the sensitive data they handle and the cutting-edge technologies they use. Working with an managed IT services provider is one of the best ways to ensure your business has the strong cybersecurity measures in place.